Got canines? Beware of the artificial sweetener like Xylitol!

According to a news published by HNGN, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has just urged dog owners to be very careful when giving foods or maybe treats to their pets. So much so, people should be aware of any xylitol contents of the foods that are being given to dogs.

xylitol is toxic

Xylitol usually comes as a sweetener in sugar-free gums. They can give fatal consequences when consumed by dogs, the FDA said.

In the news as well, years of data showed there has been an increase in the incidences of pets that were poisoned by Xylitol. It has risen from 82 in 2004 to more than 3,700 in 2014, The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals' (ASPCA) Animal Poison Control Center said.

xylitol is toxic

So if you are fond of giving treats to your dogs, be mindful of the foods' xylitol content.

Xylitol is safe for human consumption but it does not go the same way when it comes to canines. Once the substance gets into their body, it goes quickly into the bloodstream. It may lead to a realease of insulin from the pancreas. (Source: FDA)

Other things to be watchful of are the following:
..sugar-free candy, breath mints, cough syrup, mouthwash and toothpaste.
Source: http://www.hngn.com/articles/199340/20160515/artificial-sweetener-xylitol-fatal-results-dog.htm

No comments: